Knuckles

Adventures of a knucklehead mom

Sunday, August 13, 2006

More broppy, please

I never thought I'd live to see the day.

Ellie has been asking for broccoli this week. I find this a little bit odd, but I figured that it represents part of that mysterious entity known as "Green Vegetables", and if Ellie wants to eat some, then I'm happy. She calls it "broppy", and she actually seems to like the stuff. Once she finishes her own portion, she'll look over at my plate and say, "More broppy, please."

On the other hand, she has NOT been liking her milk. This child used to gulp down an eight-ounce bottle of formula in less than five minutes, and she'd do this four times a day. When we weaned her from the bottle to the sippy cup, her intake dropped by about half. This was no big deal, considering that 12-16 ounces of milk a day is all that a toddler really needs. When we switched her to lowfat milk at age two, even 12 ounces a day became a real struggle. She refuses it, she fights it, she cries if we even suggest it. From time to time, with that fickleness that's so typical of two-year-olds, she'll just pick up her cup and drain it completely, and we hope that this happens often enough to meet her calcium and fluid requirements.

One evening last week, she was putting up her usual fuss and refusing to drink any milk. I actually found myself saying, "Listen, Ellie, if you'll drink your milk like a good girl, Mommy will make you some broccoli."

Ellie picked up her cup and started drinking her milk, so I moved to the refrigerator to get out some broccoli. My husband watched this scene unfolding, and he asked me, "Did you ever imagine, in your wildest dreams, that you would be bribing your child with broccoli?"

I thought about that for a moment and replied, "No, never, but did you ever imagine, in your wildest dreams, that it would work?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home