Knuckles

Adventures of a knucklehead mom

Thursday, June 08, 2006

What a difference a year makes

Last June, on her first birthday, I gave Ellie a cupcake in a bowl.  We were having her party several days later, so I figured there was no need to have a full birthday cake twice.  Besides, every kid loves to dig into their birthday cake, right?  A cupcake seemed like it would be a perfect size for her to make a huge mess and maybe eat a bite or two. 

I sat her in her high chair, took her shirt off, and put on a bib. We were all set for some good, messy fun. I placed the cupcake in a big shallow bowl and set it before the birthday girl.  She touched the frosting with her fingers and then looked at her hand with horror and disgust.  Her next act was to hold her hand out to me, pleading wordlessly to have me clean her fingers.  Once I wiped the frosting off, she refused to even consider the cupcake.  She gave me the same reaction with her birthday cake later that week.

Fast forward to this week, when Ellie celebrated her second birthday on Tuesday.  In honor of this occasion, her grandmother baked chocolate cupcakes with pink frosting and chocolate sprinkles. In an extra-special touch, they were baked into ice cream cones.  Grandma offered one to Ellie, and Ellie practically face-planted into it. She devoured the whole cupcake, pausing only to tear away bits of the ice cream cone with her teeth. I can't wait to see what she'll do with her full birthday cake!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home