Knuckles

Adventures of a knucklehead mom

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Shoppers Anonymous

Hi, my name is Jeanne, and I'm a shopaholic.

You'd never guess this from looking at me. My own clothes are plain, comfortable, and hopelessly unfashionable. My shoes are generally ordinary black flats or sandals. My purses and diaper bags are also plain black. The overall effect when you see me is one of general frumpiness. I think it's been six months since I last bought clothes for myself.

However, I now have a daughter. Girls are so much more fun to shop for than boys; don't let anyone tell you differently. Retailers understand this concept, and come out each season with an endless supply of cute outfits and accessories for girls. The internet is especially dangerous for me. I have very little spare time to hit the shopping mall, but the internet is open all the time. It's so easy to keep clicking on adorable tops and pants and shoes, and it's such a short step from clicking to buying.

The worst part is that I've got a built-in excuse for my ongoing compulsive shopping. See, the thing about kids is that they grow. For instance, Ellie outgrows a pair of shoes in about three months. Well, what's a mother to do? I can't let my child run around shoeless, can I? I've just got to buy her new shoes. And she can't have just one pair at any given time, because she might get them wet, plus she needs a backup pair to keep at preschool in case of accidents. Also, when the weather is hot, she needs at least one pair of sandals and one set of water shoes. Oh, and she always has to have a few hats around to keep her face protected from sun damage. And she needs a new swimsuit, and she keeps outgrowing her pants and shirts . . .

See how easy it is? That's why I'm looking for the nearest chapter of Shopaholics Anonymous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home