Knuckles

Adventures of a knucklehead mom

Thursday, June 15, 2006

First day of school

Ellie started preschool on Monday this week.  It's the first time she's been away from both parents, among strangers rather than friends or family.  Actually, it's only the second time she's been away from both her parents since we brought her home.  I guess we should get out more, huh?

It's too bad that I didn't think of preparing her for this day with a book, like "Corduroy Goes to School".  That technique worked well for the trip to the doctor's office, but I didn't think of it until the day before school started, and then couldn't find an appropriate book at our local bookstore.

I took the day off from work, figuring that even if Ellie didn't need my support, my husband certainly would.  Both Jason and I brought Ellie to school in the morning.  She was tentative and shy when we first arrived, and was actually starting to look pretty pissy as we scurried around trying to figure out where to put her diapers, wipes, and change of clothes.  Daddy managed to get her interested in some of the toys, and we were able to kiss her goodbye and make the great escape.  We were free! 

Our first move as child-free adults was to go out for breakfast.  I can't tell you how wonderful it was to have a meal at which I could cut with a knife, use both hands, drink a hot beverage, and have an adult conversation.  No one had ever warned me that parents of young children forfeit these simple pleasures.  Jason worried his way through his breakfast with thoughts like "They wouldn't let her get out into the street, would they?" and "No one could walk in and take her, could they?"  It's genetic.  His mother has it, and his grandmother did, too. 

After breakfast, we went home so that he could open some birthday presents without Ellie's "help". Jason continued to worry, of course. "Do you think we should call and check on her?" During the three and a half hours of Ellie's first day of school, I think I said "no" to Jason more times than I normally would in an entire day. This may not sound like much, but remember, I have a two-year-old, so I'm saying "no" constantly on a normal day. Luckily, the presents were a nice distraction, and he was able to settle down to enjoying a morning without Ellie. By the time we left the house to go pick up Ellie, he said, "I could get used to this!"

We went back to get Ellie, amazingly only about ten minutes early. She was so happy to see us; I think she might have imagined that we were never coming back for her. She was just as happy to come home, and spent several minutes going around to kiss and hug all her favorite toys. And after only one morning in preschool, she was making much more of an effort to talk. I think I could get used to this, too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home