Knuckles

Adventures of a knucklehead mom

Thursday, February 07, 2008

A spoonful of sugar

We've recently acquired a huge library of Disney music, so Ellie has been discovering songs from the old Disney classics like "Mary Poppins" and "Lady and the Tramp." This morning, we were having fun singing "A Spoonful of Sugar" because Ellie loves the line "Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." After singing the chorus about a dozen times, she told me, "But that's silly! I drink water to help the medicine go down." She's quite right; that's what she does. So now she walks around singing, "Just a cupful of water helps the medicine go down . . . "

She's been trying the "sweet" approach with us lately. Last weekend I wanted to run errands on my own for a change while Ellie stayed at home with her father. As I was leaving, Ellie said, "I want to go out with you." I told her that I enjoy going places with her, but I like to go out by myself sometimes. She responded, "But I love you."

Ellie has also tried the indirect approach. "Sometimes little kids sleep in their mommy and daddy's bed." Nice try, kiddo, but neither of your parents is going to fall for that one! Her father's succinct response was, "Well, some kids do, but you don't."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home